Pvt. HENRY YOUNG (1762 – 1840) and PHOEBE VAN
EVERY (died prior to 1816)
Henry Young  was born 17 Aug. 1762, probably near Ft. Plain, and was baptized at the Stone Arabia Reformed Church
as Henrich Jung with his twin brother Abraham 18 Aug. 1762.  (SAR, p. 16).  Henry died about 1840, likely in Ancaster
Township., Wentworth Co. (FOY, p. 92).  He married Phoebe VanEvery, who died prior to 1816 (AO, RG 40, Heir and
Divisee Commission Records 1805-1895, 1815, David Young), daughter of McGregor and Mary (--) VanEvery (LIO, p.

The sponsors were Cptn Henrich Frej and his wife Elizabeth (SAR, p. 16).  In 1778 Henry escaped capture by the
Americans during the burning of his father's farm, leaving with his father Adam and brother David to join the British forces
at Oswego (CAY).  He was a private in Capt. Peter Ten Broeck's Co. of Butler's Rangers as of 1 Aug. 1778 (HP, Add.
Mss. 21765, Reel 46, Pay Lists, p. 56), serving the duration of the War with this unit (NHS).

One anecdote of Henry's days residing along the Grand River "was told by Robert Young to his daughter Olive Ida who in
turn related it to her daughter Helen Robina.
Henry Young was a very strong man. The Indians were very impressed by his feats of strength and, as a sign of honour
gave him the name "Hosaphat" meaning "strongman" in their language. Once he was attacked by a bear when unarmed and
having no means of defence ,but he managed to overcome and kill the bear with his own hands.
On another occasion, an incident happened which displeased the Indians, and they mistakenly accused Henry. A party of
angered Indians came to the home of Henry to apprehend him. Henry was cornered upstairs with no means of escape but,
seizing his sabre and wielding it about, caused the Indians to fall back and descend the stairs. Henry's horse was tied
outside but leaving by the front door meant capture; he climbed out the window, landed on his horse and galloped away.
He headed for the nearest settlement at Ryckman's Corners by the shortest route through the woods. Later the Indians
learned that Henry was not the cause of their displeasure and their friendship and trust was restored."  This information was
provided to David Faux by Helen Robina (Young) McBride.

Henry Young resided in his parents house on the Grand River until his widowed mother sold the property in 1796 (AJ;
DAY; FOY), subsequently moving to Ancaster where he probably died in 1840 (FOY, pp. 89-94).  It can only be
conjectured whether the move was occasioned by the above misunderstanding with the local Indians, or due to other
factors such as the sale of the property by Henry's mother.

Despite some considerable effort, nothing more on the life of Henry Young has come to light via the researches of the

The names of his children are found in LIO (p. 351), and in the will of William (3) Young (No. 33) (HSR, Register C
1889-1901, Instrument No. 1362, p. 323).